The municipal Public Works Department operates from two locations. The Pittston Depot (located at 4145 County Road 22) is primarily responsible to service the rural areas of the Township including the Villages of Spencerville and Ventnor. The Cardinal Depot (located at 4035 Dishaw Street in Cardinal) principally services the urban areas comprising Cardinal, Johnstown and New Wexford, as well as communities along the St. Lawrence River.
Principal functions of the Department include the following activities:
- Maintenance of 197.1 km of roads (109.2 paved & 87.7 gravel) within the Township;
- Maintenance of all bridges and culverts located along the municipal roads;
- Maintenance of all sidewalks within the towns and villages;
- Administration of and construction of roadside entrances;
- Maintenance of municipal drains within the Township boundaries;
- Maintenance of underground water distribution and sewer collection systems within the urban centres of the Township;
- Management of curbside waste collection and recycling services;
- Operation and maintenance of the municipal landfill site, located at the corner of Scott Road and Blair Road.
The Department’s Staff comprises one Roads Superintendent and seven Operators. Its fleet includes two single axles and four tandem plow trucks, two graders, two rubber-tire loaders, a rubber-tire excavator, a backhoe, a sidewalk tractor, and a farm tractor with brush-cutting & grass-mowing attachments.
Click here to view the recently updated Winter Maintenance Level of Service Policy.
For any questions regarding the Public Works Department please contact the Director of Operations Dave Grant at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 613-658-3001.