All areas of the municipality are serviced with weekly curbside garbage and recycling collection. The Township’s contractor, Waste Services Inc., collects household waste each week and recycling on an alternating week schedule (see below). Please note the following:
- All garbage must be in Township bags
- Maximum weight is 40 lbs. per bag
- Maximum 5 bags per week
- All bags must be securely closed
|Regular Collection Days|
|Monday||areas north of Glen Smail Road and west of County Road 44, including Spencerville|
|Tuesday||areas north of Pittston Road and east of County Road 44, including Ventnor and Shanly|
|Wednesday||areas north of Highway 401 and south of Glen Smail and Pittston Road, including Crystal Rock and Brouseville|
|Thursday||the Village of Cardinal|
|Friday||areas south of the 401, except for Cardinal|
A full recycling program, including curbside pickup, is available at no charge to residents. Recyclable products are divided into two types – “green” box and “blue” box. Recyclables are collected on alternating weeks between “green” and “blue“.
- “Green” box recyclables include paper products such as newspapers and flyers (glossy or plain), fine paper such as writing paper and computer paper, magazines and telephone directories, corrugated cardboard and boxboard. Boxes should be flattened and placed in the recycle bin. Large boxes may be flattened and placed under the bin and should be no bigger than 26″x 30″. Waxed or coated boxes, plastic bags or hardcover books are not Green Box recyclable.
- “Blue” box recyclables are cans, bottles, milk cartons, juice contaners and plastics. Items must be empty and rinsed clean and can include glass bottles and jars, metal food and beverage cans, aluminum pie plates and foil, rigid foil containers and trays, and plastic containers marked on the bottom with the recycling symbol. Not recyclable are ceramics, pottery, window glass, frozen juice cans, mirrors, light bulbs, Pyrex, drinking glasses, metal pots, foil with paper or plastic lamination, or Styrofoam.
Recycling boxes are available for purchase at the municipal office in Spencerville and at the Cardinal Library. However, the contractor will pick items up from recycling bins, plastic totes and other similar containers. Residnets may use a CLEAR bag no larger than 30×34″ for recycling, so long as the contents is correct.
Household trash must be bagged in special clear Township garbage bags. These bags cost $20.00 for a package of ten bags. There are several locations from which to purchase bags:
- Burchell’s Home Hardware
- Dollar Bazar
- Mac’s Convenience
- Madmacs Furniture
- No vendors at this time
- Municipal office
- Drummond’s Fuels
- Spencerville Home Hardware
- Village Pantry
- Your Family Dollar (Churchill & Edward)
Hazardous waste includes such items as paint cans, aerosol cans, batteries, motor oil, transmission fluid or brake fluid bottles, pesticides, herbicides and flammable or corrosive bottles. These are not recyclable and the landfill site is not licensed to accept hazardous waste. The United Counties of Leeds and Grenville hosts a household hazardous waste day annually. The details are published in local papers and information may be available from the Township office just prior to disposal day, which is generally held on the third Saturday of August and the last Saturday in September.
Elizabethtown-Kitley Township Patrol Garage
331 County Rd. 29
8:30 am – 2:00 pm
South Leeds Patrol Garage
2714 Outlet Rd.
North of Lansdowne
8:30 am – 2:00 pm
South Grenville Patrol Garage
2320 County Rd. # 21
East of Spencerville
8:30 am – 11:30 am
North Grenville Patrol Garage
720 County Rd. # 44
South of Kemptville
1:00 pm – 4:00 pm