The next regular Municipal Election will be held on Monday, Oct. 24, 2022. Subscribe to this page and watch our news and notices for upcoming updates on candidate nomination and voting information.

Do You Want to Run for Council?

Individuals may consider running for one of the following offices:

Mayor – one (1) elected at large

Deputy Mayor - one (1) elected at large

Ward 1 Councillor – one (1) elected per ward

Ward 2 Councillor - one (1) elected per ward

Ward 3 Councillor - one (1) elected per ward

School Board Trustee – one (1) elected per board

If you choose to run for one of the ward councillor positions you can run in any ward – you do not have to live in a particular ward in order to be its councillor. However, if you run in a ward where you do not live, you will not be able to vote for yourself.

 Who can be a candidate?

A person is entitled to be a candidate for Mayor, Deputy Mayor or Councillor if he or she:

  • is a resident of the Township of Edwardsburgh Cardinal, or an owner or tenant of land, or the spouse of such an owner or tenant;
  • is a Canadian citizen;
  • is at least 18 years old; and
  • is not legally prohibited from voting by law.

A person is entitled to be a candidate in the 2022 municipal election if he or she is an eligible elector. A candidate must be eligible as of the day he or she is nominated and must remain eligible throughout the election period and, if elected, throughout the term of office.


More details can be found in the 2022 Candidate's Guide for Ontario municipal council and school board election at the following link:

 Who cannot be a candidate?

The following people are disqualified from being elected as a member of council or from holding office as a member of council:

  • a person who is serving a sentence of imprisonment in a penal or correctional institute
  • a corporation
  • a person acting as an executor or trustee or in any other representative capacity
  • a person who ceases to be a Canadian citizen
  • a person who is not a resident, the owner or tenant of land (property) or the spouse of an owner or tenant of land (property) in the municipality
  • an employee of the municipality or local board unless he or she takes an unpaid leave of absence beginning the day the employee is nominated and resigns if elected to the office
  • a judge of any court, a member of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario or the Senate or House of Commons of Canada
  • a person who is prohibited from voting in an election according to the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 or the Municipal Act2001
  • a person who has violated financial requirements for filing financial information in a previous election

* Despite the above disqualification, MPs, MPPs and Senators may be nominated for municipal office without having to resign their current seat in parliament. However, by 2:00 p.m. on Nomination Day, MPs, MPPs and Senators will be required to resign their current seat should they wish to continue to seek municipal office, otherwise the Clerk will not certify the nomination. 

 Who can be a school board trustee candidate?

A person is entitled to be a candidate at an election held in a local municipality if, on voting day, he or she,

  • is a Canadian citizen;
  • is at least 18 years old;
  • is a resident with the boards area of jurisdiction
  • is a supporter of that school board; and
  • is not legally prohibited from voting by law.
Who cannot be a school board trustee candidate?

The following people are disqualified from being elected as a school board trustee or from holding office on any school board:

  • an employee of the school board unless he or she takes an unpaid leave of absence beginning the day they are nominated and resign if elected to the office.
  • a clerk, treasurer, deputy-clerk or deputy-treasurer of any municipality within the area of jurisdiction of the school board except those on an unpaid leave of absence.
  • a member of the Provincial Legislature, the Federal House of Commons or Senate who has not resigned from their office by the close of nominations. Proof of resignation must be provided by the close of nominations.
  • a candidate who failed to file the necessary financial statement(s) in the last municipal election or by-election.

For further information about running for school board trustee visit

 Nomination information

Nominations Papers for all positions of council may be filed by the candidate, in person, or by an agent acting on the candidate’s behalf at the Township Office to the Clerk, commencing Monday, May 2nd, 2022 during regular business hours. Nomination Papers may not be mailed, faxed or emailed. If an agent is filing the Nomination Papers, the form must be fully completed by the candidate prior to the filing.

A complete Nomination package will contain the following:

  1. a completed copy of the nomination paper Form 1 - Nomination Paper
  2. 25 endorsement signatures  - Form 2 - Endorsement of Nomination 
  3. a declaration of qualification signed by the candidate EL18 - Declaration of Qualifications 
  4. a consent to release personal information form signed by the candidate  
  5. a Proper Use of Voters' List form signed by the candidate
  6. applicable nomination fee ($200 Office of Mayor; $100 Office of Councillor or School Trustee – to be paid by cash, debit, cheque, or money order)
  7. proof of identity

Candidates are now required to have at least 25 people endorse their nomination for the office of mayor or councillor. Those endorsing a nomination must be eligible to vote in an election for an office within the municipality, if a regular election was held on the day that the person endorses the nomination.

The nomination papers of a candidate running for the office of mayor, deputy mayor or ward councillor must be submitted with a declaration of qualification from each of the eligible electors endorsing their nomination.

This is not applicable to school trustee nominees. 

Candidate packages are available online or from the Clerk at the Township Office, 18 Center St. Spencerville, Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.

School Board Trustee packages are available for:

  • English Separate
  • French Separate
  • English Public

Municipality of North Grenville Election Office located at 285 County Road 44, Kemptville, ON K0G 1J0

Heather Babcock-Cormier, Clerk

613-258-9569 x178.

  • French Public

City of Kingston City Hall located at 216 Ontario St, Kingston, ON K7L 2Z3

John Bolognone, City Clerk

613-546-4291 x1247


Nomination Papers can be submitted, by appointment, up until Friday, August 19th, 2022 at 2:00 pm.

Note: Nomination Papers are public documents and are available for inspection at the Clerk's office. It is recommended that individuals interested in filing nomination material book an appointment with the Clerk prior in order to ensure staff's availability. 

 Candidate Resources

 Municipal Act 

Candidate's Guide 

Municipal Elections Act 

MMAH Municipal Elections

So You Want To Run For Council - Video 

So You Want To Run For Council - Materials

Municipal Election Key Dates
 May 2, 2022
  • First day to file Nomination Paper for the offices of Mayor, Deputy Mayor, Ward Councillor or School Board Trustee
 August 19, 2022
  • Nomination Day – Candidates have until 2:00 pm to file a nomination, withdraw a nomination or change offices
September 1, 2022 
  •  Voter’s List available to candidates
 September 26, 2022
  • Last Day to provide spending limits to candidates and registered third party advertisers. Last day to provide self-contribution limits to candidates running for Mayor, Deputy Mayor or Ward Councillor
 October 17-23, 2022
  • Advance internet and telephone voting open October 17, 2022 at 10:00 am and close Voting Day, October 24, 2022 at 8:00 pm 
 October 24, 2022
  •  Voting Day 10:00 am- 8:00 am
November 21, 2022
  • Inaugural Meeting of Council
December 31, 2022
  • End of Election Campaign Period
March 31, 2023 - 2:00PM
  •  Campaign Financial Statement Deadline

To find out if you are on the voter's list, please visit Voter Lookup and verify if you need to be added to the voters' list.


The Municipal Elections are administered by the Municipal Clerk, who acts as the Returning Officer under the authority of the Municipal Elections Act.

If you have any questions, please contact:

Rebecca Williams, Clerk
Phone: 613-658-3055 x105
Toll free: 1-866-848-9099
Email this contact

Candise Newcombe, Deputy Clerk
Phone: 613-658-3055 x108
Toll free: 1-866-848-9099
Email this contact