At the Township of Edwardsburgh Cardinal, our Clerk and Treasurer are Commissioner of Oaths and can commission affidavits and declarations. 

What is a Commissioner of Oaths & Services

A Commissioner of Oaths, also known as a Commissioner for Taking Affidavits, is not the same as a Notary Public. A Notary Public has much broader authority. If your document requires the signature of a Notary Public, or you require certified copies of documents, then you will need to contact a lawyer or a notary.

The person signing the affidavit must appear before the Commissioner and must show proof of identity via government issued photo identification, with signature and not expired, such as a driver's license or passport. The person signing the affidavit must sign the document in the presence of the Commissioner.

The Commissioner cannot witness documents where there is a requirement to personally know the person for a certain length of time, i.e. Passport Guarantor.

The Commissioner is not responsible for any content of the document and does not provide legal advice, preparation or editing of affidavits, assistance, counselling or interpretation services to the person when completing their documents and shall not commission documents that are in any other language(s) other than English, as the information being sworn cannot be validated.

Book an appointment

To make an appointment, please contact our Clerk or Treasurer as we need to make sure that someone is available to sign your documents before you visit.

Please make sure that your document is complete for your appointment, and don't sign the document in advance. You need to sign your document in person with the Commissioner present.

There is no guarantee that a document can be commissioned until the document is seen by the Commissioner. It is at the discretion of the Commission whether or not they choose to sign the document. If a Commissioner is uncomfortable about the identity of the person requesting the service or the content of the documents for any reason, the Commissioner may refuse to sign the document.


The following fees apply:

  • $10 for residents
  • $15 for non-residents

It costs $1 for every additional signature or page. This service is free for pension forms.

What documents can and cannot be signed

 Documents the Commissioner may sign (including but not limited to):

  • Township of Edwardsburgh Cardinal generated documents
  • Domestic and Foreign pension documents, also known as proof of life
  • Canadian citizenship forms
  • Delayed statement of live birth
  • Adult legal name change application
  • Declaration affirming parentage
  • Statutory declaration by an applicant to correct an error in registration
  • Vehicle ownership transfers - sworn statement for a transfer of a used vehicle in the Province of Ontario
  • Special invitation to family members overseas
  • Application to amend birth registration
  • Child travel consent
  • Immunization document
  • Statutory declaration of lost identification
  • Statutory declaration for OSAP
  • Affidavit of proof of loss of motor vehicle/boat (from insurance company)

Documents the Commissioner cannot sign (including but not limited to):

  • Wills, living wills, codicils to wills or estate settlement documents
  • Power of Attorney
  • Divorce, separation, marriage or cohabitation documents
  • Custody documents
  • Documents related to debt
  • Real estate documents
  • Court, legal or civil issue related documents
  • Declaration or claimant and indemnity
  • Statement of arrears
  • Declaration of a translator
  • Age of majority or Ontario Photo ID application
  • Affidavits of true identity required for an applicant of a marriage license - must be signed by a Notary Public
  • Incomplete documents
  • Documents requiring the signature of a Notary Public