Zoning Bylaw Review

What is a Zoning Bylaw?

A zoning bylaw states how land may be used. It includes provisions about where buildings can be located, the types of buildings that are permitted, lot sizes, parking requirements, building height and setbacks from the street.

A zoning bylaw:
  • implements the objectives and policies of a municipality’s official plan;
  • provides a legal way of managing land use and future development; and
  • in addition to the official plan, protects you from conflicting and possibly dangerous land uses in your community.

An official plan sets out the Township’s general policies for future land use. Zoning bylaws put the plan into effect and provide for its day-to-day administration. They contain specific requirements that are legally enforceable. Construction or new development that doesn’t comply with a zoning bylaw is not allowed.

Like many municipalities, Edwardsburgh Cardinal has a comprehensive zoning bylaw that divides the municipality into different land use zones, with detailed maps. The bylaw specifies the permitted uses (e.g. commercial or residential) and the required standards (e.g. building size and location) in each zone. Our current zoning bylaw was passed by Council in 2012.

The Zoning Bylaw Review Process

A municipality is required by the province to update its zoning bylaws no less than three years after the approval of an official plan update. The Township of Edwardsburgh Cardinal’s Official Plan was approved by the United Counties of Leeds and Grenville in February 2020.

The Community Development Committee started the process of reviewing our zoning bylaws in July, 2020 under the leadership of our planner of record, Novatech. The Committee is currently working on a public draft to be reviewed at an Open House meeting. The Committee meets the first Monday of every month (moved to Tuesday when Monday is a holiday).

When the Open House meeting is scheduled, expect it to be advertised through community newspapers, social media and here on our website. The meeting will be an informal information session, providing a good opportunity to have conversations with our planners and provide feedback to the Committee about parts of the bylaw that are important to you.

Our residents can also expect at least one public meeting before the bylaw is passed. Everyone who attends the public meeting will be given a chance to speak. Notice of this meeting is given at least 20 days in advance, and will be advertised in local newspapers, social media and here on our website.

Zoning Bylaw for Review

When a public draft is ready for review, it will be shared here. It has taken a bit longer than we expected to have a draft ready, but we expect to have a draft copy available in early 2021. In the meantime, some may choose to review our current zoning bylaw are share any feedback with us.

How to Provide Feedback

The Township encourages early involvement form our residents in the process. It is the best way we can ensure the updated bylaw reflects the views of our community. Share your views early in the planning process by filling out the online feedback form, or submit in writing to the Community Development Coordinator.

Written submissions can be emailed to wvankeulen@twpec.ca or mailed/dropped off at our municipal office:
PO Box 129
18 Centre St.
Spencerville ON K0E 1X0

You can also call our office at (613)658-3055 if you have questions about the bylaw or review process. If you have feedback or concerns, be sure to make an oral submission at the public meeting or a written submission to council before the bylaw is passed. If you don’t, you are not entitled to appeal the bylaw after it is passed.

Making an Appeal

Once council has passed the bylaw, the Township will give notice of the bylaw’s passing within 15 days. Any person or public body that meets certain requirements may, not later than 20 days after the notice of the passing of the bylaw is given, appeal to the LPAT by filing a notice of appeal with the municipal clerk. The appeal must set out the reasons why the appellant believes the council’s decision is inconsistent, does not conform or conflicts with provincial policy or plans, or does not conform with the official plan. The fee required by the LPAT must be paid at the same time.
For more information on the appeal process, visit Ontario.ca

Information on this page was provided in part by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing. Visit the following site for more information: https://www.ontario.ca/document/citizens-guide-land-use-planning/zoning-bylaws